Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mom Uniform

Yesterday, as I was throwing my clothes on and ready to run out the door with the kids, two words flashed into my mind: "Mom Uniform". These words were describing my outfit for the day (and most days) as I got dressed.

I refuse to be "that mom" that walks her kids to school in her bathrobe (although I would LOVE to do that). I know "that mom", and I was "that mom" when my kids were in a very private, small Christian school in which I only saw my very close friends when I dropped my kids off. But now, my munchkins attend a public school and I try to look a little bit like I didn't just roll out of bed, give my kids a pop-tart and jump in the van (PS - I have NEVER given my kids pop-tarts and I don't drive a van).

I do, however, wear yoga pants and running pants an awful lot. NOT sweats...yoga pants and running pants. I'm at the point where I think it would be really great to own 14 different warm-up suits and rotate through them bi-weekly (they're cute, right?). As things stand right now, I often throw on yesterdays jeans or my running pants along with a cute (in my opinion) t-shirt and some running shoes and then head out for the day.

I DO NOT understand how those glamorous moms do it. I've tried cute shoes and/or boots for the day...How in the heck do they possibly clean their homes, do the laundry, walk the doggy, volunteer in the classroom and run/walk to the school to pick up their children 3 times each day in those things? I've tried. I just seem to move MUCH slower in those things than I do in my trusty sneakers. I get things done in my sneakers. I LOVE my sneakers. They are a vital part of my mom uniform.

I'd love to be a beautified mom (I do wear earrings and lip-gloss with my running/yoga pants...that counts, right?). I just don't see how it's possible.

PPS - Please don't confuse "mom uniform" with "mom jeans"...that's an entirely different problem altogether.

9 comments:

  1. You've never given your kids pop-tarts???

    And I only wear my running shoes for running. I think it's because my feet are giant and they look even bigger with running shoes. I wish this wasn't the case because I have seen some SUPER cute tennis shoes Id love the wear often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leggings and ballet flats. It's like pajamas and slippers, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti...I love this post...and I just have to say two things...1. You inspired me to get dressed in clothes...I am wearing a dress with leggings and all I am doing is babysitting 4 kids plus my two :)...2. You ARE one of those glamorous mom's...every time I see you I think...how does she do it? Patti is so naturally beautiful! Pretty sure that lip gloss and earnings are doing it for you! :) Love, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm at the point where I think it would be really great to own 14 different warm-up suits and rotate through them bi-weekly"

    Can you say Sue Sylvester?! Haha, I love it! I practically live in my yoga pants and running clothes, too. First thing I put on every morning. That way if I get a chance to get out the door for a run, I'm ready!
    I DO NOT follow celebs as a habit, and feel like a nerd for saying this, but check out Gwyneth's "mom uniform":
    http://goop.com/newsletter/3/en/
    It inspires me (in little ways) to reach beyond my assorted collection of Patagonia active mesh sports bras. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carina - Any particular brand of ballet flats? I have some flats and they are not great when I'm busily cleaning.

    Candace- You are too sweet to me! I wore a dress with leggings yesterday too! - just to break out of the habit a bit. :-)

    Corena - TOTALLY Sue Sylvester!!! Haha! I need one of those red ones like hers. I'm right there with you about the running. I think thats part of the reason I wear my running clothes so often - just hoping I'll get to run sometime in the day.

    Thanks for reading my blog guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corena - I just checked that link and I am inspired!!!! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I lived in a pair from Old Navy for about 3 years. Probably not ideal for my feet, but I still love them. Also have a couple of cute pairs from Rocket Dog. But honestly, when I am at home, I am usually barefoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are cracking me up!

    Patty, I love Miz Moos shoes - they are cute, leather and lots of ballet flat options. You can buy some heels or wedges, but they are so cozy! I wear them when I am working, which tends to be about 12-16 hours on my feet.

    I am loving my new (cute) jean skirt and spanx leggings. Love, love them! Plus, I just got some Toms which are the BEST!!!!

    HK

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - Miz Moos can be expensive, but worth it. I have found some at Nordstrom Rack and some discount online shoe stores.

    ReplyDelete