Thursday, February 10, 2011

Firehouse field trip

Today, I got to go on a field trip with Noelle's class to the local firehouse. The firehouse is located 1.36 miles from the school and probably because of financial reasons, this was a "walking" field trip. In fact, all of the field trips except for one that my kids have gone on since we moved to California have been "walking" field trips and both of my kids have had field trips cancelled because of RAIN!!! Coming from the Northwest, that just seems absurd! I honestly can only think of a few field trips from my entire school career that weren't in the rain.

1.36 miles in the beautiful sunshine isn't really that far, but for 25ish 2nd graders, walking this round-trip before lunch seemed crazy.

Highlights of the trip:
*One pinecone thrown into a busy street.
*One child in tears.
*One child whining about how they are "oooonnnlllyyy goood aatt exercise and spoooorts on my xbox 360..."
*878978987 questions about the firehouse dog.
*20ish times when a firefighter called on a child who was raising their hand, but then forgot their question.
*I learned the difference between a fire TRUCK and a fire ENGINE.
*I learned that there is a Swap Meet in East Salinas.
*2 times having to drag a child across an intersection.

And my favorite part: Three of Noelle's classmates quizzing me on Spanish vocabulary words for everything in sight - including teaching me the Spanish word for "booger".



Class photo with the firemen/1 firelady (is that what they're called?).


Salinas Station 1


It was really heavy. Also, notice that I'm not wearing my "Mom Uniform"...


They wouldn't let the kids slide down the pole...something about insurance or casualties or blah blah or something or other...


If you look closely, you'll notice that one of these things is not like the others...


Apparently, this one is a fire TRUCK and not a fire ENGINE. Who knew?

Yay for free field trips!



3 comments:

  1. "One of these things is not like the other" :) That made me smile! Our oldest has black hair and when we lived in Idaho, she came home from the first day of school saying, "no one believes me that I don't speak Spanish and they won't talk to me in English on the bus!" There was only one blonde kid in her class. Here in Lynden, they are almost ALL blondes and she's the minority! But no one speaks Dutch here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran track at SHS with that firelady, I cant remember her name but i remember was really nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney - That is SO funny! I was recently at the park and had my sunglasses on and some lady totally talked to me in Spanish thinking I would understand her. Must've been my dark brown hair!

    ReplyDelete