Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Braggy Bragerton

I am REALLY not a crafty person. In fact, I hate crafts. I can draw a really good stick-man and developed some decent skills drawing Elmo, Bert & Ernie and Big Bird (maybe not a great Big Bird) a handful of years ago. Other than that, I am the opposite of an artist. I can sew a hole in a pillow with a needle and thread and just recently learned how to hem some curtains (it's just a straight line!), but ask me to "make" something and I'm stumped. I lack ideas. I don't wanna take the time. AND I'd rather spend my money on something already made.

My mom LOVES crafts. Growing up, my mom had an entire room dedicated to crafts complete with endless bins of fabric, thread, patterns and anything else she could get on sale from any Joanne Fabrics within a 50 mile radius. Sometimes I would go into that room and attempt some kind of craft, but I was always discouraged by my uncraftiness. Mostly, I would stand in the doorway, look around and walk right back out, overwhelmed. Plus, crafty thingys always take time and I'm impatient. I like to see things get done right away. Or just buy them that way. My time is worth money in my mind. (Remember how I'm a stay-at-home mama and don't earn a paycheck? Figure that one out...) Also, I may have been a little bit jealous of all of you crafty-types. Well, only the ones that make cool stuff that doesn't take very long, doesn't cost a ton and is something that I would actually use, and/or like.

I'm telling you all of this because I think I may have found a crafty little bone in my body! I'm SO pleased with myself that I could parade every one of you into my bedroom right now and show you what I made - if you ever happened to stop by. I've been inspired! And it may become an obsession here very soon, if I'm not careful.

So far this week:
*I have refinished a chair that I got at the Goodwill for 7 bucks and now ADORE. I realized we needed some kind of chair in our bedroom when I noticed that Gav always had to leave our room to put on his shoes. Our bed is kinda high.
*I turned a spice rack that I got at the Goodwill for 2 bucks into an ADORABLE (in my opinion) jewelry rack. I've wanted one for a long time and didn't want to fork-out the $ for one.
*I started refinishing a hand-me-down dresser that Noelle has been using since birth. (Thanks Holly-Kate!)

Look! Look! Look!
I don't suck as bad as I thought I did!



Plain, old, school-lookin' chair...


There was this really cute kid around that INSISTED that he be in a photo with the chair...


I LOVE this cute chair! It matches our iron bed!
(I wish I had a photo of it with the bed)


That pillow is covering up all of crappy lookin' cords that are piled-up from our internet modem and phone. Ew.
At least the pillow is cute and that chair is SO great!
SEVEN bucks, people!


Here is the spice rack. I put the hooks that hang on the wall on the FRONT of it (turned it around so I am using it backwards than it was intended as a spice rack) and it is a PERFECT little rack!

Seriously, how cute is that?
THREE bucks.
I am in love.


Did I mention that I love this? Also, I might be kinda cheap...

7 comments:

  1. I am impressed!!!!! My birthday is coming up next week . . . also, my bathroom counter is covered with my jewelry . . . food for thought. ;)

    (Seriously though - way to go, Patty!!!!)

    ~ AMP

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great find! And I like the way the black makes it pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, and very resourceful! Its amazing the difference a coat of paint makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. You are the funnest. can't wait to see it in person! :) GB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that! I'm impressed by the skills you didn't think you had! Now you'll start to see how you can repurpose other things and make them look terrific. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you bring me joy! I am not crafty... but can I send you a picture of the $1 corner table I bought which is now a funky fresh greenish color. Better yet- when the flu has finally left our building, come witness it in person.
    Amy C.

    ReplyDelete