Friday, April 8, 2011

Jude's Obsession

My sweet, quirky little man is known to get "hooked" on things...like Macaroni and Cheese, for instance. The kid has seriously eaten an entire box in one sitting. He asks for it for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and dessert. I'm not exaggerating - he asked for it this morning for breakfast. For his 5th birthday, while the rest of us happily ate pizza, Jude polished off close to two boxes of Mac-N-Cheese served up in a giant mixing bowl. Hey, it was his birthday...AND he's "skin & bones" skinny...AND at least it was the Trader Joe's kind with REAL Wisconsin cheese and Smart Balance instead of butter...I'll just keep convincing myself that it's somehow better for him that way.

He's also been hooked on the Wii. He doesn't really care what game he plays, but as long as the carrot of getting to play is dangled in front of him, I can pretty much get him to do anything I want. I am pretty sure that I'm going to hate life when that doesn't work anymore.

There was also a season where he was attached to Angry Birds on the Iphone and would swipe my phone or Gav's Ipod touch any time we set them down for even a second. He's real quick like that. One time, while sitting in a Dr.'s office I was letting him play Angry Birds and I heard him quietly singing a tune I didn't recognize. Yep, he had even composed his own little ditty to sing along with the game. I don't remember all of the words, but I believe it went like this:

(Sing this in your highest pitched voice as humanly possible and you'll pretty much get the jist)
"I'm just coming at the sun."
"It's a beautiful day to get three sta-ars."
"And don't forget to kill the pi-igs."
"And don't forget to use the white bi-irds."
"It's a beautiful to get three sta-ars."

(I may have just bribed him to sing that to me so he could have a cupcake. Gotta do, what I gotta do, right?)


Jude's latest and my new favorite obsession of his is Hawaii. We went to Hawaii the week after Christmas and he cannot stop talking about it. It is very sweet...but mostly hilarious. Here are some ways he displays his obsession:

Me leaving Target: Well, we're all done with Target!
Jude: Now, can we go to a Hawaii?

Me in the car: Jude, want to go on a trip with Daddy? (To Reno for work)
Jude: To a Hawaii?

Me to the kids: What should we do after we go to the aquarium?
Jude: Can we go to a Hawaii?

Me leaving the grocery store: What should we do tonight guys?
Jude: Let's go to a Hawaii.

Me in the car: Daddy is going to the airport for a trip.
Jude: I need to pack my suitcase for a Hawaii.

Me on a hot, sunny day last week: Do you guys want to go swimming at the pool?
Jude: In a Hawaii?

I keep promising him that we will go again someday. It may have to be sooner than later. I'm pretty sure that I'm okay with that. He's only saying out loud what I'm thinking every second of my life...


This was the suitcase he attempted to pack for our actual trip to Hawaii in December...


Oh my goodness, I love this quirky boy...

2 comments:

  1. I would love any excuse to go to Hawaii :) Sometimes, I look for jobs there, just because, you know... you just never know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been...but someday I will. I'm obsessed with it too..

    ReplyDelete