Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Opposite of Lent

I'm pretty good at sticking to New Year's resolutions, but I have never successfully observed Lent. So there.
Well, I had never even heard of Lent until high school and at that point I just thought it was dumb and unnecessary. At this point in my life though, it seems like a really great, honorable idea and I am just really bad at most great, honorable things.

For the past few years, I've thought of a few things that I could give up for Lent and just never stuck with them. My college roommate gave up shaving her legs for Lent our sophomore year. I think I could probably do that one too, but just haven't quite committed. This year, I considered giving up candy, but then I saw those black jelly beans for a buck a bag. And I ate two bags. I never struggle with craving candy like I do during the Easter season. When I see those Starburst jelly beans or Cadbury mini-eggs or Robin Eggs or Jolly Rancher jelly beans or black jelly beans there is this internal panic that goes off inside of me shouting, "BUT THOSE WILL ONLY BE AROUND UNTIL EASTER! YOU BETTER EAT EM' NOW!"...While everyone else is living a season of self-control and sacrifice, I live in a season of chocolate indulgence and jelly bean gluttony.

So, now that the Easter candy is overflowing in the Brem household and Lent is over, I feel challenged to begin my own personal non-Lent, Lent. Besides candy, anybody have any ideas? I'd love to earn back a little self-respect in the discipline category. That left when I purchased the bag Starburst Sour jelly beans - which were disappointingly not sour. 40 days begins today!



*If anyone wants to know what happens to your body after eating an entire bag of black jelly beans, I'd love to share...privately. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Laughed even before I read it! I suck at lent too...Jesus said "It is finished!" and I believe Him...
    I'm pretty sure I know what happens to your body after eating an entire bag of black jelly beans... :)
    and it's me (NLK) again, posting anonymously...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, well, since it's a symbol of Jesus being tempted by Satan for 40 days, I think it should be something really tough. I mean, Satan pulled out all the stops, right? But I also think that probably the most difficult things for people to give up are private... so I don't know if I can give you any good suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never given up anything for lent. Like you, I don't think that I even knew about Lent until high school and even then, I figured it was just for catholics. My mom asked me this year what I was going to give up for Lent, and I was like, ummmm...since when do I participate in Lent? haha As for suggestions, I would say, like Courtney said, it should be something difficult for you to give up. Be it food, or whatever. I know that Leticia said that Maya was giving up the internet for Lent because she was always on it. I think the boys gave up video games. So it's up to you =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I think I've come up with 4 things!

    ReplyDelete