Friday, July 22, 2011

Bad Mama

Yesterday, I threw on a thin, fitted t-shirt and my running pants (the usual mom uniform) to "get my clean on" and run a couple of errands.  I was hunched over my bathroom sink brushing my teeth when I heard Noelle walk up behind me.  She stood there for a moment and then in all seriousness asked me, "Mommy, are you a robot?"

Of course, I immediately said yes.

I had no idea why that thought would cross her mind, but I had to let it play out for a few moments and try to figure it out.

I kept a straight face (as straight as you can while brushing your teeth with a Sonicare) while Noelle began to interrogate me.

"Mommy, are you really a robot?"

"Yes."

"Mommy, you're a robot?"

"Yep."

"Are you lying?"

I didn't answer that one, I just stared blankly at her in amazement that I was actually having this conversation in my lifetime.

After finishing my toothbrushing, I walked out of the bathroom and saw that there were tears welling-up in her eyes.

Oops.  Mama's gone too far.

"Oh honey, I'm not a robot.  What made you think that?"

Apparently, my thin t-shirt along with me bending over the sink allowed the little metal pieces on my bra-strap to be outlined under the back of my shirt and gave the appearance of a JET-PACK in the mind of an 8.5 year old.  A sweet, innocent 8.5 year old that trusts her mommy and who may never believe her mommy ever, ever again and who made it very clear that robot mom's are not okay.

I think a jet-pack would make errands and cleaning way cooler.

7 comments:

  1. Funny! Once when I was young and didn't want to leave my window open at night because I was afraid aliens would land in our backyard, my mom told me she was an alien. I did NOT think it was funny at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily, that is hilarious! We've thankfully passed through the "afraid of aliens phase" - I think!

    Thanks Courtney! I thought it was pretty cute too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud, Patty! She'll recover, don't worry.

    By the way, my sister thought when she was young that everyone else was a robot and she was the only REAL person in the world. She remembers this phase very clearly. I don't know how long it lasted, but I think she was entirely okay with the idea. Maybe Noelle would be comforted if you said, "Well, honey, at least Daddy's not a robot. Some people have TWO robot parents."

    And this would also make a good picture book. My Mommy is a Robot. If you don't use these ideas, can I? ;)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be CLASSIC to re-read to her when shopping for her first bra. :) Or when she's 30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, FEEL FREE to use these ideas for books! I love it!

    Cara, I'm compiling a list of ideas for bra shopping day. This will definitely be included. Any other suggestions are welcome. ;-)

    Carina, amen.

    ReplyDelete