Friday, August 26, 2011

Hot Mom School

Noelle started school a few days ago at a new elementary school this year.  It's a long story...and I'm still homeschooling Jude and Noelle loves her new school which is about a 10 minute drive from our house.  We are on day #3.

I am going to call Noelle's new school, "Hot Mom School" from here on out because I think 99% of the mom's that I see at drop-off and pick-up time are hot.  I have friends who have kids that attend "Hot Mom School" and I had previously just thought that I happened to have pretty friends.  It must have something to do with the water out there or something because I am telling you, there are a lot of hot mom's at that school.

Yesterday, I dropped Noelle off at school while wearing my running clothes, hoping to get a run in sometime after homeschooling Jude and before Noelle's pick-up time.  "Running clothes" for me consisted of a pair of 9 year old stretchy yoga pants that have a "bell-bottom" look to them and have lasted me through both pregnancies (remember, my kids are 7 and 8), a 5 year old t-shirt that is bright green that I got from a high school mission trip to Mexico, a messed-up sports bra that makes a couple of things look slightly crooked/off-kilter (trust me) and my dirty running shoes that have lasted me through 4 half-marathons and all of the training for those.  Not necessarily "hot mom" material.

I wasn't terribly worried about my outfit and felt no insecurity about it at morning drop-off.  In fact, I barely paid attention to what anyone else was wearing anyway as I distractedly walked Noelle to class, guzzling coffee from my travel tumbler all while attempting to keep Jude out of the landscaping.

However, I did notice the "hot mom phenomenon" at pick-up time while I was still in my frumpy running clothes and hadn't actually made it on my run yet.  (I did get one in later though!)

I wasn't the only one in running/exercise gear at pick-up time, but I was pretty sure that I was the ONLY one who didn't look like they had stepped out of a magazine ad for Nike.  I saw MANY mom's in tiny, cute, tight workout outfits, brightly colored, some even sweaty from their recent workout and all looking very beautiful.  I looked sweaty and I hadn't even worked-out yet, it was just hot out and I looked like I had been for a run already.  One "hot mom" was even stretching outside of the school in her tiny, pink, spandexy tank-top and cute, tight capri running pants.

It made me rethink that one time I dropped Noelle off at school in my bathrobe when she was in 1st grade.

Mostly, it made me realize that it might be time for some new running pants.



2 comments:

  1. stretching on the front lawn of school? hilarious! (and a little show-offy.) maybe all of you hot moms need to start a little jogging club! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, Lynden is the same... everyone is READY for the day! At 9 AM! Today, I went up to check the list to see which teachers my kids had... I was in a swimsuit w/ a wild skirt... and everyone else was TOGETHER. I felt a little silly. Oh well! I just had fun at the lake with my kids, we weren't inside with the A/C... right?

    ReplyDelete