Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm An Old White Lady

This post may make me sound like a jerk, or just really naive and dumb...forgive me.

I live in a town that has a lot of Hispanic influence and a lot of Hispanic people.  I actually love it.  And I REALLY love the food that comes along with living here.  But me, the "old white lady" can sometimes have embarrassing experiences from having not grown-up with such diversity.  

For example...
I sell lots of stuff on craigslist.  If it has been around too long and I haven't used it, I sell it on craigslist.  If it makes my garage look too cluttery, I sell it on craigslist.  If I don't like it anymore, I sell it on craigslist.  My kids often say, "Please, don't sell it!" in regards to many of their favorite things.  Don't worry, I don't sell (much) of their stuff.
Anyways, I'm also very careful about who I deal with during craigslist transactions.  I don't usually let male buyers come to pick-up or purchase things at our house unless Gavin is home.  I'm a little more lenient when dealing with ladies though, and often meet-up with them while Gavin is at work.
So, a couple of days ago I received an email and made arrangements for someone to come and pick-up a patio set that we no longer needed.  Of course, "old white lady" (ME) assumed that I was dealing with a lady and when a man showed-up I dumbly said, "Oh, you must be Jamie's husband!" and he replied, "No, I'm Jaime." (pronounced "Hi-may" for all of the rest of you dumb people like me).  Whoops.  I forgot where I lived for a moment.  Thankfully, Jaime was super nice and loved the patio set that he was picking up for him and his wife's new house.

Also...
When Jude was still in public school, he had a classmate named Jesus (pronounced "Hay-soos" for all of you dumb people like me).  I volunteered in Jude's class a lot and became familiar with Jesus and all of his cuteness.  One day, I was reading my Bible and automatically read "Hay-soos" when I saw the name "Jesus".  I had a good giggle and confidently felt like a true resident of Salinas after that.

Adios amigos!

1 comment: