Friday, September 30, 2011

How my husband lost 5 lbs without even trying

We Brem's love food.  As I've probably stated before, eating truly is our hobby.  We like other stuff too, don't get me wrong.  We like watching baseball (while eating), going to the beach (with a picnic), hanging with friends (eating with them) and I like to run (to fend of the results of my eating habit).

In recent months, our eating hobby has really turned into more of an "eating-out hobby" and our home-cooked meals dwindled and became less than inspiring.  I know, Dave Ramsey would be ticked at us for this development.  It didn't help that we had discovered some really amazing places to eat around here AND we'd had numerous guests from out of town that we were wanting to show a good time and good food...I blame them and take no responsibility for those extra couple of lbs that mysteriously popped onto my scale over the summertime.  Thanks a lot "friends".

A few weeks ago, we decided that we'd had enough of eating out.  Well, not really.  We just knew that we probably shouldn't be doing it so much and maybe our budget and waistlines could really use a break.  Some of you are amazing and never eat out and I applaud you.  I am even slightly jealous of your discipline.  But that all is pushed out of my mind when I think of the chicken fajitas at La Casa Del Sazon or the pasta bolognese at Dametra Cafe or even a mustard-fried cheeseburger from In-N-Out.  I like food.  I also like leftovers and not cleaning the dishes.

Some friends of ours who suffer from this same weakness/lack of discipline/love for eating-out/growing waistlines challenged us to a "not eating out" competition a couple of weeks ago to help us all break our evil restaurant habit.  No Starbucks, no restaurants (not even if someone else was buying!) and all food had to be cooked at home for two weeks.  In the event that one family did choose to succumb to the siren song of restaurant food, they would be forced to buy the other family a very nice dinner AND be known as the big, fat losers.  Brem's are not big, fat losers...just fyi.

I'm happy to announce that we survived!  AND we have been inspired!  AND Gavin magically lost FIVE pounds.  AND we saved a billion dollars!  Well, not really on that last one, but I'm sure it's somewhere in that ballpark.

I was seriously in a major cooking rut before this competition.  The thrill of it all matched with pinterest recipes and a desire to use everything we already have in our fridge and cupboards (even the stuff hiding in the back of the pantry) mixed with the inspiration that comes from watching the Food Network has really turned the Brem fam into new (skinnier, richer) people.  We are changed people, people!

Here are a few things that we've used these past couple of weeks that have been the inspiration to change...


*Rosemary Olive Oil Bread found on Pinterest, which led me to the recipe here.  This was AMAZING! 


(I didn't take this pic, it's the one from the site where I found the recipe)

*The BEST Marinara sauce we've ever made in the Brem household.  Oh my.  Found here.  Easy peasey.

*We tried those squeeze tubes of fresh herbs that I always see in the produce section, but never give a second thought.  They are awesome!  They stay good in the fridge for a couple of weeks.


*Finally, we discovered our new favorite cooking show on the Cooking Channel.  I didn't name it, so please don't think I did.  It is HILARIOUS.  It is called "Bitchin' Kitchen" and it is a must-see and has definitely inspired us to venture more into our kitchen.

We went grocery shopping before the competition started and besides a couple of trips to the store to grab 1 or 2 items, we did use almost everything we had.  I love using everything we have!  Things that have been hiding in the pantry are gone!  And nothing goes to waste!

Here's a pic of our nearly empty fridge the day our competition ended...


Can't wait to go to Trader Joe's and fill er' up!

The competition ended this morning and I have no desire to eat out.  Well, almost no desire.  I am getting tired of those dishes.

Anybody have any tried and true "must-try" recipes for us recovering restaurant addicts?

7 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you guys! I loooove to cook and try to recipes, but I HATE dishes. Charlotte suggested I invest in some paper plates, bowls and plasticware, so I did. Anyways - here are my tried and true delicious suggestions.

    Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network http://bit.ly/nl89j0 I serve with couscous and a salad, or a side of asparagus or roasted green beans.

    Garlic Roasted Chicken and Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com http://bit.ly/qnbLVa (SO GOOD! I add carrots too, and I've tried it with sweet potatoes too. The mix of the roasted garlic and syrup is amazing and the carrots get so sweet)

    Love Birds - Chicken in Pastry Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network http://bit.ly/nSQ2ch (Fancy good. haha) and I serve Asparagus and Green Beans with Tarragon Lemon Dip Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network http://bit.ly/pjo1AC alongside it.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...just made myself hungry. Maybe I'll plan dinner in tonight instead of dinner out. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carina's friend. :) Here's a soup recipe you might like. I made it a couple of weeks ago. It's good. The blog's great, too! http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/09/pasta-fagioli-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been REALLY trying not to eat out too! This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boil Trader Joes cheese tortellini in chicken broth (instead of water)...top with fresh shaved parmesan cheese and tadaa...dinner is served.

    If you love pesto (and you should), add a bit of pesto to the broth just before you serve it. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One time I lost weight without trying...it was when I had a tonsilectomy. Yeah, mostly I just gain weight without trying, then work my butt off to try to lose which um is hard. Good for you on the no eating out thing, or even take out! And I hate dishes. And I like cooking.
    Maria Byrd

    ReplyDelete