Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Best Banana Bread Ever - Unless You Go to SunBreak Cafe' in Auburn, WA

This is seriously our family's favorite banana bread.  The real "secret" is in the brown sugar crust.
Trust me, it is the BEST.  The only banana bread that I've ever had that I like better is from SunBreak Cafe' in Auburn, Washington.  If you have a chance to go there or live nearby - run there this very minute.  Order anything (it is all good) and get banana bread as your side.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  I'm considering hopping on a plane this morning solely for the purpose of stuffing my face with SunBreak's goodness.

Anyways, if you'd like to settle for the 2nd best banana bread in the world, go ahead and try this one.  ;-)
I love, love, love, love, love this banana bread.  Just sayin'.   Plus, it only takes about 6 or 7 minutes to throw together - which I also love.

Tip:
*I experimented with using the Trader Joe's organic sugar instead of regular white sugar.  It turned out good, but not great.  I'm sticking with the regular sugar for this recipe from now on.


1 1/2 cups flour (sometimes I use 50% white 50% wheat and it turns out fine)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2-3 large bananas
1 egg
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/3 cup(ish) brown sugar
Butter

Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Grease a loaf pan with butter and lightly sprinkle brown sugar in the bottom of the pan.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and make a well in the center of the mixture.

In another bowl, combine bananas, egg, sugar and cooking oil.  When mixed, add "wet mixture" to "dry mixture" and stir just until it is all moistened.

Pour into loaf pan and sprinkle brown sugar on top of the batter.

*This is optional, but we've grown to love it.
Before putting the pan in the oven, top the center of the batter from end to end with a few pats of butter.  You probably won't regret it...hopefully.
It should look like this...



Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through.




Eat it while it's hot - but not so hot that it burns the roof of your mouth!

6 comments:

  1. Perfect. I have some bananas waiting to turn into yummy bread. I'll try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching for sun break cafe banana bread lol but since I can't find a recipe I'll settle for the 2nd best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this! I love Sunbreak's Banana Bread and went hunting for a clone recipe online and found this. Just made it again yesterday and the family raves with every bite and begs for more! Much appreciated! Paula M, Bonney Lake, WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is REALLY good banana bread! I made it with wheat flour and half honey, half German vanilla sugar. SOOOOOO good. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could You Make This With Splenda Instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO NO BROWN SUGAR GOES INTO THE BREAD ITSELF? JUST ON TOP/BOTTOM?? JUST CHECKING.

    ReplyDelete