Monday, September 10, 2012

Throwbackish

I know it has been a while.

Whoops.

I should really give an explanation about that, but I don't want to.  And I don't really have one.

Oh well.


Every once in a while, I learn something new about my sweet husband.  After 12.5ish years of marriage, plus 2.5ish years of dating/engagement, it is a rare treat to find out something new about him or hear a new funny story about his childhood.

Occasionally, I'll even surprise him with a new story that I hadn't yet thought to tell like that time I told him that I had learned to milk a cow as a child because my grandma kept a cow in her garage.  And then Gav will be momentarily stunned and begin laughing his head off before I've even processed the fact that it might be slightly weird that my grandma had a cow in her garage and that it maybe isn't the norm?

A few weeks ago, I got that same stunned/laughing reaction from Gavin when I blurted out what turned out to be a gem of information that I had "forgotten" to tell my husband.

It happened something like this:

Me: "Do you remember where you were when you found out Kurt Cobain had died?"

Gav: (I actually have no idea what he said to that and maybe I wasn't really listening?)

Me: "I remember exactly where I was.  I was at my aunt's house on the other side of the state.  I had gone there for the weekend because my grandma paid me twenty bucks to go with my cousin to his prom."

Gav: Stunned silence followed by "What?!  You went to the prom with your cousin?" - said while giggling.

Me: "My grandma paid me and my other girl cousin to go with two of our boy cousins who didn't have dates.  I remember that we ate Subway before the prom and I only danced with him for one song before we left and went home.  I also remember that I did a VO5 hot oil treatment on my hair that day.  Also, I wore a dress that I bought at Sears."

(I have a really nicely intentioned grandma who obviously wasn't your "run of the mill" old lady.)

Gav: "How have I never heard that story before?" - said in awe and amazement with a hint of disgust.

Me: "Really?  That was the same cousin who got totally drunk and wouldn't stop hitting on me at my aunt's funeral and then passed-out under the tree."

Gav:  "When are you gonna write that book?"

12.5ish years of marriage and we can still surprise each other.  Keepin' the magic alive, baby.












3 comments:

  1. V05 hot oil treatments were rad. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Patty! My kids are constantly telling me that I told them "whatever" a bazillion times. Occasionally I'll being telling someone else a story (not them because I assume they've heard everything I have to say a bazillion times over) and they will remark "How have I never heard THAT story before?" :) It's music to my ears...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have the greatest family stories ever ...

    -Kari

    ReplyDelete