Friday, March 15, 2013

On the Eve of my 35th Birthday...

Tonight is the last night that I will be thirty-four.  Thirty-four still sounds kinda young to me.  Thirty-five is starting to sound less young (apologies to those who are thirty-five and older...I have a few hours  left to savor).

I thought today would be an appropriate time to make some permanent bloggy observations about being on the verge of thirty-five.  Also, I would really like to just type 35, but a dear friend of mine (and English major) has informed me that I should spell it out.  His name starts with a "R" and ends in an "od"...

Observations on being on the verge of thirty-five:

#1 - If you frequently use facial expressions, you WILL have wrinkles in your forehead, no matter how early you started using anti-wrinkle lotion.  I am always moving my eyebrows, and as hard as I try, I can't stop!  I can't tell a story without using my eyebrows.  I'm addicted to using my eyebrows.

#2 - I celebrate my birthday now mostly because my children love cake and parties.

#3 - I'd rather eat bread than cake.

#4 - I get sad when I think about the friends that don't keep in touch, but feel so extremely loved by the ones who do.

#5 - I love my college roommates more today than I did in college.  I may have paid a bajillion dollars to go to college, but the friends that I made there were worth every penny.

#6 - My husband is the most amazing man I've ever met and continues to prove this to me all of the time.  I am dumbfounded that I was so blessed to be chosen by him so early in life.

#7 - I'm so freaking glad that we had kids early in our lives because I'm only almost 35 and am looking forward to leaving kids at home alone without having to pay for babysitters VERY SOON!!!!

#8 - Thirty-five requires more wine than twenty-five did.

#9 - Thirty-five requires more exercise than twenty-five did.

#10 - My birthdays always remind me of the fact that I don't have any grandparents that are still living.  This makes me sad.  This also makes me want to make sure I'm alive for my grandkids.

#11 - I am SO thankful for the fact that Mochie became a part of our family when we were so young and that we've walked the waters of having a high schooler, a college student, a wedding and a grandbaby.  We are the youngest, coolest, PROUDEST parents, grandparents and friends, ever.

#12 - I don't know which section to shop in at any clothing store.  I feel older than a junior and younger than a Mrs.  Good thing I LOVE grocery shopping.

#13 - Gray hairs blend in well with high-lights?

#14 - What the HECK was I thinking when I cut my hair short a handful of years ago?  TWICE.  Seriously, why didn't any of you tell me how bad it was?

#15 - There are a couple of friends that no matter how long it has been since you've been together, no matter how few emails, phone calls, text messages or letters have been passed between you, you know you are dear, close friends and connect at the heart.  Those friends currently reside in Port Orchard, Fircrest, Niger, Burien, Salinas and Manson.

#16 - I am WAY funnier now than ever before.

#17 - I make myself laugh more now, than ever before.

#18 - At thirty-four, things like a new mattress or couch excite me way more than new clothes or makeup.

#19 - Reading a book or magazine have become a luxury rather than a chore.

#20 - I still don't love having a dog.

Looking forward to what thirty-five has in store for me!


Bonus #21- The only photos I have of myself are photos I send to show my sister and husband my awesome bedhead.  (See!  I'm raising my eyebrows even in this self-photo!)

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled on this blog post today, Patty. I love you and I miss you AND we'd be free babysitters for you anytime.

    ReplyDelete